Choices : a program for women about choosing healthy behaviors to avoid alcohol-exposed pregnancies : client workbook
Published Date:August 2011
Corporate Authors:National Center for Birth Defects and Developmental Disorders (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention). Division of Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities.
Description:Introduction -- CHOICES: The Intervention Approach -- Motivational Interviewing -- Counseling Guide -- Session 1: Introduction To CHOICES -- Session 2: Reviewing Feedback and Setting Goals -- Session 3: Reviewing Goals and Revisiting CHOICES -- Session 4: Future Goals and Planning. -- Appendix A: Risks of an Alcohol Exposed Pregnancy -- Appendix B: Assessments and Feedback -- Appendix C: Temptation and Confidence -- Appendix D: Contraceptive Methods, Facts, and Myths -- Appendix E: Glossary of Terms.
CHOICES is a program for women about choosing healthy behaviors. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention developed it to help prevent alcohol- exposed pregnancies (which we will refer to as AEP). An AEP can result in a broad range of birth defects and disabilities, including babies born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS), Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD), or other adverse outcomes.
CHOICES is designed to help women like you — nonpregnant women of childbearing age — reduce the risk of an AEP. To reduce your risk of an AEP, CHOICES will provide you with information on how to make the choice that is
best for you: reduce your drinking and/or increase your use of birth control.
How does CHOICES work?
CHOICES is a four-session program, plus a birth control visit, that:
• Assesses potentially risky drinking behavior (more than seven standard drinks per week, or more than three drinks on any one occasion) and ineffective contraceptive use
• Provides you with new information to assess your current level of risk for an AEP
• Is tailored to meet your level of readiness to change alcohol use and contraceptive behaviors
• Focuses on lowering the risk of an AEP
What are the positive outcomes of CHOICES?
• Reduced risk of AEP: Using effective contraception or drinking below risky levels
• Effective contraception: Using an accepted method of contraception as directed
• Below risky drinking levels: Drinking seven or fewer drinks per week and three or fewer drinks on any one occasion
One manual included in the CDC-INFO Pub ID 221265 CHOICES Curriculum - CD Package "CHOICES: A Program for Women About Choosing Healthy Behaviors" is an intervention for nonpregnant women of childbearing age and is designed to prevent alcohol-exposed pregnancies by addressing risky drinking and ineffective or no use of contraception. The CHOICES Curriculum includes CD-ROMs for each of the following: Facilitator guide, counselor manual, client workbook, and a training DVD with videos demonstrating components of the intervention. The training DVD now includes both English and Spanish sub-titles.
Supporting Files:No Additional Files
You May Also Like: