Welcome to CDC stacks | The surveillance of poliomyelitis in the United States in 1955 - 48111 | Stephen B. Thacker CDC Library collection | David J. Sencer CDC Museum
Stacks Logo
Advanced Search
Select up to three search categories and corresponding keywords using the fields to the right. Refer to the Help section for more detailed instructions.
 
 
Help
Clear All Simple Search
Advanced Search
The surveillance of poliomyelitis in the United States in 1955
  • Published Date:
    November 9, 1955
  • Language:
    English
Filetype[PDF-10.29 MB]


This document cannot be previewed automatically as it exceeds 5 MB
Please click the thumbnail image to view the document.
The surveillance of poliomyelitis in the United States in 1955
Details:
  • Description:
    Prepared for presentation before the Joint Session of Laboratory and Epidemiology Sections, American Public Health Association, Kansas City, Missouri, November 15, 1955.

    FOR RELEASE ON PRESENTATION Tuesday, November 15, 1955

    The National Poliomyelitis Surveillance Program was established by the Surgeon General of the Public Health Service on April 28, 1955 immediately after the recognition that cases of poliomyelitis were occurring in association with vaccine manufactured by Cutter Laboratories.

    The purpose of the Program was to provide a clearing house for the collection, consolidation and dissemination of all pertinent epidemiologic information regarding the poliomyelitis problems confronting the nation.

    The Poliomyelitis Surveillance Unit was established in the Communicable Disease Center with headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia. Cooperative arrangements were made for the direct exchange of reports with all states and territories and with more than UO virus laboratories both in government and in academic institutions. A total of 42 Epidemic Intelligence Service Officers including 29 physicians, 4 nurses, 6 statisticians and 3 veterinarians were either assigned to full time polio duty or alerted for first priority polio investigation, as needed. Funds were made available for diagnostic support of surveillance activities to the collaborating laboratories first through the Sectional Research Program of the National Microbiological Institute and after July 1, 1955 through the Communicable Disease Center.

    Later published as: Am J Public Health Nations Health. 1956 Jan; 46(1): 75–88.

  • Document Type:
  • Place as Subject:
  • Main Document Checksum:
  • Supporting Files:
    No Additional Files
No Related Documents.
You May Also Like: