A Formative Evaluation of a Diabetes Prevention Program Using the RE-AIM Framework in a Learning Health Care System, Utah, 2013–2015
Advanced Search
Select up to three search categories and corresponding keywords using the fields to the right. Refer to the Help section for more detailed instructions.

Search our Collections & Repository

All these words:

For very narrow results

This exact word or phrase:

When looking for a specific result

Any of these words:

Best used for discovery & interchangable words

None of these words:

Recommended to be used in conjunction with other fields



Publication Date Range:


Document Data


Document Type:






Clear All

Query Builder

Query box

Clear All

For additional assistance using the Custom Query please check out our Help Page


A Formative Evaluation of a Diabetes Prevention Program Using the RE-AIM Framework in a Learning Health Care System, Utah, 2013–2015

Filetype[PDF-430.35 KB]

  • English

  • Details:

    • Alternative Title:
      Prev Chronic Dis
    • Description:

      Evaluation of interventions can help to close the gap between research and practice but seldom takes place during implementation. Using the RE-AIM framework, we conducted a formative evaluation of the first year of the Intermountain Healthcare Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP).


      Adult patients who met the criteria for prediabetes (HbA1c of 5.70%–6.49% or fasting plasma glucose of 100–125 mg/dL) were attributed to a primary care provider from August 1, 2013, through July 31, 2014. Physicians invited eligible patients to participate in the program during an office visit. We evaluated 1) reach, with data on patient eligibility, participation, and representativeness; 2) effectiveness, with data on attaining a 5% weight loss; 3) adoption, with data on providers and clinics that referred patients to the program; and 4) implementation, with data on patient encounters. We did not measure maintenance.


      Of the 6,862 prediabetes patients who had an in-person office visit with their provider, 8.4% of eligible patients enrolled. Likelihood of participation was higher among patients who were female, aged 70 years or older, or overweight; had depression and higher weight at study enrollment; or were prescribed metformin. DPP participants were more likely than nonparticipants to achieve a 5% weight loss (odds ratio, 1.70; 95% confidence interval, 1.29–2.25; P < .001). Providers from 7 of 8 regions referred patients to the DPP; 174 providers at 53 clinics enrolled patients. The mean number of DPP counseling encounters per patient was 2.3 (range, 1–16).


      The RE-AIM framework was useful for estimating the formative impact (ie, reach, effectiveness, adoption, and implementation fidelity) of a DPP-based lifestyle intervention deployed in a learning health care system.

    • Pubmed ID:
    • Pubmed Central ID:
    • Document Type:
    • Place as Subject:
    • Main Document Checksum:
    • File Type:

    You May Also Like

    Checkout today's featured content at stacks.cdc.gov