FluView : 2015-2016 Influenza Season ; Week 13 ending April 2, 2016
Published Date:April 8, 2016
Series:FluView : 2015-2016 Influenza Season ; Week 13
Description:All data are preliminary and may change as more reports are received.
Synopsis: During week 13 (March 27-Aprl 2, 2016), influenza activity decreased slightly, but remained elevated in the United States.
• Viral Surveillance: The most frequently identified influenza virus type reported by public health laboratories during week 13 was influenza A, with influenza A (H1N1)pdm09 viruses predominating. The percentage of respiratory specimens testing positive for influenza in clinical laboratories decreased.
• Pneumonia and Influenza Mortality: The proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) was below the system-specific epidemic threshold in the NCHS Mortality Surveillance System and above the system-specific epidemic threshold in the 122 Cities Mortality Reporting System.
• Influenza-associated Pediatric Deaths: Seven influenza-associated pediatric deaths were reported.
• Influenza-associated Hospitalizations: A cumulative rate for the season of 24.4 laboratory-confirmed influenza-associated hospitalizations per 100,000 population was reported.
• Outpatient Illness Surveillance: The proportion of outpatient visits for influenza-like illness (ILI) was 2.4%, which is above the national baseline of 2.1%. Eight of 10 regions reported ILI at or above region-specific baseline levels. Two states experienced high ILI activity; seven states experienced moderate ILI activity; New York City and 13 states experienced low ILI activity; Puerto Rico and 27 states experienced minimal ILI activity; and the District of Columbia and one state had insufficient data.
• Geographic Spread of Influenza: The geographic spread of influenza in Puerto Rico and 25 states was reported as widespread; Guam and 18 states reported regional activity; the District of Columbia and four states reported local activity; three states reported sporadic activity; and the U.S. Virgin Islands did not report.
Supporting Files:No Additional Files
You May Also Like: