FluView : 2011-2012 Influenza Season ; Week 51 ending December 24, 2011
Published Date:December 30, 2011
Series:FluView : 2011-2012 Influenza Season ; Week 51
Description:All data are preliminary and may change as more reports are received.
Synopsis: During week 51 (December 18-24, 2011), influenza activity remained low in the United States.
• U.S. Virologic Surveillance: Of the 2,652 specimens tested by U.S. World Health
• Organization (WHO) and National Respiratory and Enteric Virus Surveillance System (NREVSS) collaborating laboratories and reported to CDC/Influenza Division, 97 (3.7%) were positive for influenza.
• Pneumonia and Influenza (P&I) Mortality Surveillance: The proportion of deaths
• attributed to P&I was below the epidemic threshold.
• Influenza-associated Pediatric Mortality: No influenza-associated pediatric deaths were reported.
• Outpatient Illness Surveillance: The proportion of outpatient visits for influenza-like illness (ILI) was 1.5%, which is below the national baseline of 2.4%. All 10 regions reported ILI below region-specific baseline levels. One state experienced moderate ILI activity, New York City and one state experienced low ILI activity, 47 states experienced minimal ILI activity, and the District of Columbia and one state had insufficient data.
• Geographic Spread of Influenza: The geographic spread of influenza in one state was reported as regional; two states reported local activity; Guam and 37 states reported sporadic activity; the District of Columbia, the U.S. Virgin Islands and 10 states reported no influenza activity, and Puerto Rico did not report.
Supporting Files:No Additional Files
You May Also Like: