Published Date:January 26, 2016
Description:Where has Zika virus been found?
• Prior to 2015, Zika virus outbreaks had been identified in countries in Africa, Southeast Asia, and the Pacific Islands.
• In May 2015, the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) issued an alert regarding the first confirmed Zika virus infections in Brazil.
• Currently, outbreaks are occurring in many countries in the Americas.
• Zika virus will continue to spread and it will be difficult to determine how the virus will spread over time.
Zika in the United States and its territories:
• No locally transmitted Zika cases have been reported in the continental United States, but cases have been reported in returning travelers.
• Locally transmitted Zika virus has been reported in the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
• With the recent outbreaks, the number of Zika cases among travelers visiting or returning to the United States will likely increase.
• These imported cases could result in local spread of the virus in some areas of the United States.
Countries and territories with active Zika virus transmission:
AMERICAS: Barbados; Bolivia; Brazil; Colombia; Ecuador; El Salvador; French Guiana; Guadeloupe; Guatemala; Guyana; Haiti; Honduras; Martinique; Mexico; Panama; Paraguay; Puerto Rico; Saint Martin; Suriname; U.S. Virgin Islands; Venezuela
OCEANIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS: Samoa
AFRICA: Cape Verde
Supporting Files:No Additional Files
You May Also Like: