FluView : 2011-2012 Influenza Season ; Week 49 ending December 10, 2011
Published Date:December 16, 2011
Corporate Authors:National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (U.S.). Influenza Division.
Series:FluView : 2011-2012 Influenza Season ; Week 49
Description:All data are preliminary and may change as more reports are received.
Synopsis: During week 49 (December 4-10, 2011), influenza activity remained low in the United States.
• U.S. Virologic Surveillance: Of the 2,480 specimens tested by U.S. World Health
• Organization (WHO) and National Respiratory and Enteric Virus Surveillance System (NREVSS) collaborating laboratories and reported to CDC/Influenza Division, 48 (1.9%) were positive for influenza.
• Pneumonia and Influenza (P&I) Mortality Surveillance: The proportion of deaths
• attributed to P&I was below the epidemic threshold.
• Influenza-associated Pediatric Mortality: No influenza-associated pediatric deaths were reported.
• Outpatient Illness Surveillance: The proportion of outpatient visits for influenza-like illness (ILI) was 1.2%, which is below the national baseline of 2.4%. All 10 regions reported ILI below region-specific baseline levels. Two states and New York City experienced low ILI activity, forty-eight states experienced minimal ILI activity, and the District of Columbia had insufficient data.
• Geographic Spread of Influenza: The geographic spread of influenza in three states was reported as local; Guam, Puerto Rico, and 32 states reported sporadic activity, and the District of Columbia, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and 15 states reported no influenza activity.
Supporting Files:No Additional Files
You May Also Like: