FluView : 2015-2016 Influenza Season ; Week 49 ending December 12, 2015
Published Date:December 18, 2015
Corporate Authors:National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (U.S.). Influenza Division.
Series:FluView : 2015-2016 Influenza Season ; Week 49
Description:All data are preliminary and may change as more reports are received.
Synopsis: During week 49 (December 6-12, 2015), influenza activity increased slightly in the United States but remained low overall.
• Viral Surveillance: The most frequently identified influenza virus type reported by public health laboratories during week 49 was influenza A, with influenza A (H1N1)pdm09 viruses predominating. The percentage of respiratory specimens testing positive for influenza in clinical laboratories was low.
• Novel Influenza A Virus: One human infection with a novel influenza A virus was reported.
• Pneumonia and Influenza Mortality: The proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) was below their system-specific epidemic threshold in both the NCHS Mortality Surveillance System and the 122 Cities Mortality Reporting System.
• Influenza-associated Pediatric Deaths: No influenza-associated pediatric deaths were reported.
• Outpatient Illness Surveillance: The proportion of outpatient visits for influenza-like illness (ILI) was 1.9%, which is below the national baseline of 2.1%. Four of 10 regions reported ILI at or above region-specific baseline levels. One state experienced high ILI activity; Puerto Rico and one state experienced moderate ILI activity; New York City and two states experienced low ILI activity; 46 states experienced minimal ILI activity; and the District of Columbia had insufficient data.
• Geographic Spread of Influenza: The geographic spread of influenza in Guam was reported as widespread; Puerto Rico and two states reported regional activity; 12 states reported local activity; the District of Columbia, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and 33 states reported sporadic activity; and three states reported no influenza activity.
Supporting Files:No Additional Files
You May Also Like: