U.S. Chemical Weapons Elimination Program’s key successes : celebrating 30 years!
Advanced Search
Select up to three search categories and corresponding keywords using the fields to the right. Refer to the Help section for more detailed instructions.
Clear All

U.S. Chemical Weapons Elimination Program’s key successes : celebrating 30 years!

  • Published Date:


  • Language:
Filetype[PDF-1.12 MB]

  • Description:
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) oversees the U.S. chemical weapons elimination program. We’ve worked for over 30 years to keep Americans safe from dangerous chemicals in warfare materials by monitoring the process for safely destroying them and making sure workers and nearby communities stay safe and healthy U.S. Chemical Weapons Elimination Timeline • 1910s – 1950s: The United States starts to make and store chemical weapons during World War I. This continues during and after World War II. • 1960s: The chemical weapons have never been used. By the late 1960s they are outdated and an increasing threat to the public the longer they are left in storage. • 1970: Congress asks the Surgeon General to make sure to protect public health as the Army destroys the weapons. • 1982: CDC takes on the task of keeping the public safe while the Department of Defense (DoD) works to destroy these weapons safely. • 1986: Congress passes a law ordering the destruction of all stockpiled U.S. chemical weapons. • 1997: With more than 150 other nations, the United States approves the Chemical Weapons Convention, an international treaty to destroy all chemical weapons. • 2012: The United States reaches the milestone of successfully destroying 90% of its stored chemical weapons. • 2015: DoD is developing new ways to destroy the remaining 10% of stockpiled weapons in the next 5 to 7 years. CDC continues to oversee DoD efforts to protect • public health. To learn more about our work, visit http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/demil/ chemical-weapons-elimination-full-infographic.pdf
  • Document Type:
  • Main Document Checksum:
  • File Type:
No Related Documents.

You May Also Like: