Association between perceived union connection and upper body musculoskeletal pains among unionized construction apprentices
Published Date:Apr 27 2012
Source:Am J Ind Med. 56(2):189-196.
Keywords:Activities Of Daily Living
Low Back Pain
Perceived Union Connection
Pubmed Central ID:PMC4502574
Funding:1R01DP000097-01/DP/NCCDPHP CDC HHS/United States
L60 MD003645/MD/NIMHD NIH HHS/United States
R01 DP000097/DP/NCCDPHP CDC HHS/United States
U19 OH008861/OH/NIOSH CDC HHS/United States
Several studies show varying associations between unionization and workers’ health and wellbeing. This study investigated the association between individual worker’s perceived union connection and musculoskeletal pains (MSPs).
We conducted a cross-sectional survey of 1,757 unionized construction apprentices. Perceived union connection is a psychosocial scale measured by six questions that assessed individual worker’s connection to their union (range 10 to 24) at unionized workplaces. We measured the prevalence of four MSPs (neck, shoulder, arm, and back pain) and difficulty in daily home activities, job activities, and sleeping caused by each of the four MSPs.
We found that a one score increase in perceived union connection was associated with 5% decreased odds of reporting neck pain (OR: 0.95, 95% CI: 0.91 ~ 1.00) and back pain (OR: 0.95, 95% CI: 0.91 ~ 0.99) after adjusting for confounders including self-reported ergonomic strain. We also found significant associations between perceived union connection and MSPs causing difficulty in daily activities. For a one score increase in perceived union connection, the odds of reporting back pain causing difficulty in home activities, job activities, and sleeping was 9% (95% CI: 0.87 ~ 0.96), 8% (95% CI: 0.88 ~ 0.96), and 7% (95% CI: 0.89 ~ 0.98) lower, respectively.
Although our findings are limited by the cross-sectional nature of the data, these results suggest that workers’ perceived union connection can vary even within unionized workplaces, and it may be associated with the prevalence of MSPs and MSPs causing difficulty in daily activities.
You May Also Like: